Steamed Jumping Shrimp
Don’t be confused with this recipe because this is not the jumping shrimp salad where you have eat the live jumping shrimps along with it’s shell and antennae. The reason why this recipe is called steamed jumping shrimp is because you are using fresh live shrimps when cooking this recipe and the poor shrimps will jump when you mix it with the ingredients.
1/2 kilo fresh shrimp, if possible use live
1 tbsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. corn starch
1/2 cup banana sauce or banana catsup
2 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
1 long green chili, thinly sliced crosswise
1 tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. MSG
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. Chinese rice wine
1/4 cup finely sliced spring onions
How to cook Jumping Shrimp
- Wash shrimp in running water, and cut of antennae. Then drain well. In a bowl, mix shrimp thoroughly with sea
salt and 1 tbsp of the sesame oil so that all shrimp are coated with oil.
- Bring water of steamer to a boil. Transfer shrimp to a plate and steam for 10-15 minutes or just until pink. Transfer shrimp to a colander to drain. Set aside.
- Put cornstarch in a small bowl and gradually add banana sauce to make a paste.
- Heat a medium sized wok on medium flame. Add cooking oil, then add garlic, ginger and green chili and stir for about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and toss for 1 minute then pour in banana sauce mixture.
- Reduce flame to low, toss shrimp for 2 minutes. then add green onions. Toss before serving.