Fried Smoked Pork Patties
A very special fried pork patties that have smoked flavor on the meat. Pork is smoked first before grinding and mixing with the rest of the ingredients to give a country style flavor. It is also coated with batter before frying to retain the juiciness and flavor of the patties.
2 kilos pork belly
2 stalks of scallion or green onion
4 medium sized red onion, sliced and grilled
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup flour
Ingredients for the batter:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
How to cook Fried Smoked Pork Patties:
- Remove the pork skin from the meat and fat of the pork belly and boil in salted water until cooked.
- Set aside to cool.
- Slice the meat and smoke using the cold smoke process.
- Place meat, onion and scallion on a food processor and puree until it becomes smooth.
- Repeat the process with the cooked pork skin, using the food processor.
- In a bowl, mix together both the pork skin and the meat mixture until they are well blended.
- Then add the salt, black pepper, 3 eggs and mix them together thoroughly with a wooden spatula.
- Then add the flour and mix until smooth. Form into 50 gram patties.
- Prepare the batter by mixing the eggs, flour and water until it becomes smooth in consistency.
- Coat each patties with the batter and fry until golden brown.
- Place in a colander to drain excess oil. Serve hot with vinegar dipping sauce.