Chicken Siomai with Cabbage
1/2 kilo of ground chicken meat
1/4 cabbage, shredded (about 1 and 1/2 cup)
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp finely chopped spring onions
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp grated ginger
4 tbsp bread crumbs or 2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp sesame oil
How to prepare and cook Chicken Siomai:
- In a mixing bowl, mix the ground chicken, cabbage, spring onion, ginger, breadcrumbs then add soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt and sesame oil.
- Mix it thoroughly until all the ingredients are well combined and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Separate siomai wrappers individually. Place ½ teaspoon in the center of each wrapper; pat the area surrounding the meat with water; bring the sides of the wrapper up over the meat mixture and press the sides together leaving using your fingertips leaving the meat exposed.
- Flatten the bottom part by tapping slowly on a plate for the siomai to stand on its own. Repeat the wrapping procedure until done and ready to cook.
- Arrange the wrapped siomai in a steamer. A bamboo steamer is preferred because it gives a natural distinct flavor than using a stainless steel or aluminum steamer.
- Make sure that the streamer has at least 3 to 4 cups of water for steaming the siomai but it will depend on the size of the steamer.
- Steam for at least 20 minutes and serve.
For the sauce:
Combine soy sauce, kalamansi juice and chili pepper. You can also use fried chili garlic instead of chili peppers.