Beef with Button and Straw Mushrooms
A beefy dish with 2 kinds of mushrooms, straw and button mushrooms, combined with carrots and celery then simmered in a gravy with tomato sauce. This is an easy to cook dish and can be served with steamed rice as a viand.
350 grams beef sirloin, sliced tapa style then cut into wide strips
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pc large white onion, sliced
1 pc small carrot, sliced into half moons
198 gram button mushrooms, drained (reserve stock) and each piece sliced into 3
200 gram straw mushrooms, drained and each piece sliced in half
250 gram tomato sauce
1-1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
2 stalks large celery sliced diagonally 1-inch long
How to cook Beef with Button and Straw Mushrooms:
- Marinate beef in 2 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon pepper for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve marinade.
- Stir fry beef in batches in 2 tablespoon oil until cooked. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 1 tablespoon oil (if needed) and saute garlic, onion and carrot.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Again, using the same pan, combine marinade, mushroom stock, tomato sauce. 3/4 cup water, soy sauce and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add meat and vegetable mixture. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Add celery.
- Simmer again for a few seconds. Serve hot.