Adobong Tanigue (Spanish Mackerel Adobo)
Another simple adobo dish using tanigue steaks or Spanish mackerel. Like all other fish steaks, since it is flaky, just be careful not to break the steaks while cooking. The extra step of frying the tanigue steaks helps to make the fish intact while cooking so it will break to pieces easily.
- ½ kilo Tanigue steaks
- 1 medium size onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs laurel leaves
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Cooking oil
- Fry tanigue steaks until golden brown. Set aside.
- In an empty pan pour 1 tablespoon cooking oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger.
- When garlic turns a little brown and onion is already cooked, add soy sauce, laurel leaves, brown sugar and pepper.
- Let it simmer for 1 to 2 minutes then add the fried tanigue steaks and gently stir cook until the sauce sticks with the fish.
- Just be careful not to break the tanigue steaks when stirring. Serve hot.