This is a simple meatballs dish with sweet and sour sauce. Actually this is an oriental inspired dish which is similar to sweet and sour pork on this time meatballs are used instead of slices of fried pork meat. This is a perfect dish to cook for your family specially at dinner time because ground pork is easy to digest and you are a bit more relaxed eating this dish because it is mixed with pineapple tidbits and veggies. A heavy meal with meat dishes might be harder to digest before going to bed. Also, this is also great in serving picky eaters like kids that don’t like to eat healthy foods.
Kids love fried foods like meatballs and colorful dishes so I think they will not be disappointed when they see this at meal time. And with regard to the extender used in making the meatballs, basically, flour or breadcrumbs are usually the common extenders but other use veggies like carrots or grated turnips. You can also experiment with these if you like.
How to Cook Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs
- 1 kilo ground pork
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 tsp. fine salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs raw egg
- 1 cup onion minced
- 2 Tbsp. garlic minced
Sweet sour sauce ingredients:
- 1 large size onion quartered
- 3 to matoes quartered
- 1 carrot slice into strips
- 2 bell pepper red & green (strips)
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small can pineapple tidbits
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolve with 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. liquid seasoning
- 1 cup water
How to cook Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs:
- In a medium size bowl, combine ground pork, bread crumbs, fine salt, black pepper, egg, onion and garlic. Mix thoroughly until the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Make ball shaped meatballs by scooping about 2 tablespoons to make each meatballs. Heat some cooking oil on the pan and fry the meatballs until golden brown.
- Fry in batches to avoid the meatballs sticking with each other. Remove from the pan when done and drain excess oil. Set aside.
- Sauté minced garlic until brown. Add altogether onion, tomatoes, celery, carrot, and pepper strips. Stir. After 3 minutes or until half-cooked, add catsup, pineapple tidbits (with syrup), and water.
- Season with soy sauce and liquid seasoning. Continue boiling until the vegetables are cooked. Do not overcook the vegetables. Thicken with dissolved cornstarch and stir. When it boils pour over meatballs. Serve hot.
Leave a Reply