Chicken relleno is actually stuffed chicken but the only difference is the chicken is deboned. Deboned in a sense that only the bones are removed but the chicken meat is still intact. Unlike the rellenong bangus where only the skin, head and tail remains and stuffed with deboned and flaked fish meat and mixed with other stuffing ingredients.
Cooking this dish is best suited for special occasions because the procedure involve is a little tedious. Deboning the chicken requires some patience and also stuffing it with meat mixture that you have to insure that the chicken is well sewn so the contents won’t spill.
How to Cook Chicken Relleno (Rellenong Manok)
Ingredients for Chicken Relleno:
- 1 small chicken deboned
- 8 oz bottle Sprite
- 1/4 cup banana catsup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 pcs chicken bouillon cubes crushed
- 1- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup ground pork
- 3 pcs egg lightly beaten
- 3 slices ham diced
- 1/2 cup cheese grated
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 pc small onion chopped
- 1 pc bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 pcs hard boiled eggs quartered
Ingredients for Liver Sauce
- 1 cup chicken liver chopped
- 1 cup saba plantain banana,mashed
- cooking oil for sauteing
- 1 pc onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2-1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. pepper ground
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1-1/4 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vinegar
How to cook Rellenong Manok:
- Marinate deboned chicken in sprite, catsup, soy sauce, bouillon cubes and pepper overnight.
- Drain and prepare chicken for stuffing.
- Mix ground pork, beaten eggs, grated cheese, ham, raisins, onions, bay leaf and pepper.
- Stuff the chicken with ground meat mixture and quartered eggs.
- Sew the ends and bake for about 30-45 minutes in preheated oven at 350 °F.
- Slice and serve with liver sauce.
How to make Liver Sauce:
- Combine chicken liver and mashed saba.
- In a saucepan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion until soft.
- Add the liver mixture and the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer until sauce thickens. Serves 12.