Tinolang Manok (Chicken Stew in Papaya)
Tinolang manok is one of the most popular Filipino chicken dish. Not only it is delicious, it is also simple to cook. There are three basic ingredients in cooking this dish, the chicken, unripe papaya and chili leaves. And the spices that should never be omitted are ginger, onion and garlic that makes up the flavor and of course, the seasoning that is a must is the patis or fish sauce. In case chili leaves are hard to find, specially if you are living abroad, spinach is a good substitute.
1-1/2 kilo roasting chicken, cut up
2 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, cut in strips
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium-sized onion, sliced
2 tbsp. patis
1 tsp. salt
5 cup water
2 cup pared, sliced green papaya
200 grams spinach or sili leaves
How to cook Tinolang Manok:
- In medium size saucepan, heat oil over medium heat sauté ginger, garlic, and onion for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and sauté until chicken colors slightly. Season with patis and salt.
- Add water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add papaya. Cook for 5 minutes or until papaya is tender.
- Add sili leaves (or spinach), cover and remove from heat Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Good for 5 to 6 persons.
Categories: Chicken Recipes
About Panlasang Pinoy Meat Recipes
Filipino recipes that specializes in all kinds of red meat like pork, beef, chicken, duck, veal or turkey