Rellenong Alimango (Stuffed Mud Crabs)
Rellenong alimango is stuffed mud crabs with crab meat, eggs, vegetables and spices. Alimasag is different from alimango. Some people are confused between alimango and alimasag, always remember, alimango is mudcrab and alimasag is blue crab.
Preparing the stuffed crab is a bit tedious because you have to remove the crab meat from the shells. But you have to boil it first because it is easier this way. Then mix it will the stuffing ingredients listed in the recipe and stuff it in the upper crab shell called the “carapace”. Coat with bread crumbs then deep fry the stuffed crabs until cooked and golden brown.
- 8 live mud crabs or alimango
- 3 oz. frozen crab meat
- 2 Tbsps. cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic. minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 red and green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 small box raisins
- 1 tbsp. patis
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- Japanese bread crumbs
- dash of pepper
- cooking oil for frying
- Scrub and rinse crabs. Place them in a kettle with little water and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the shells turn red.
- Drain and let cool. When cool enough to handle, remove crab meat from shell.
- Save the top shell (the carapace). In a skillet, saute garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
- Add fresh and frozen crab meat, salt, patis, sugar, green pepper, green onions, and raisins.
- Season to taste and saute for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat egg whites with salt until they form soft peaks.
- Combine eggs with the crab meat mixture and mix very well.
- Fill each crab shell with the mixture and coat with bread crumbs then deep fry until golden brown.
- Don't coat the shell, only the filling. Serve hot. Good for 6 to 8 persons.