Mudfish Fillet with Egg Sauce (Dalag Fillet)
Mudfish is one of the native fresh water fish that is cooked occasionally unlike tilapia or bangus that you can find in the wet market everyday. There are also few recipes of dalag or mudfish and it has a strong fishy taste that not everybody will like and the texture is also unusual (slippery). There are also muddy taste usually found in fresh water fishes like tilapia and catfish. But this exotic fish can be a treat if the cooking is done properly and putting lime or lemon juice does the trick of removing the muddy taste. You can also soak the fillet on lemon juice with water for an hour and drain before proceeding with the recipes.
How to cook mud fish fillet with egg sauce; Fillet the fish into two pieces. Marinate in dayap juice and set aside. Wash the bones and clean the head. Season the fillets with salt and pepper. Pat both sides of each fillet in flour. Heat oil in pan and fry the fillets until crisp and golden brown. Arrange the fillets on a platter. Pour sauce over the fillets.
- 1 pc (700-800 grams) whole dalag (mud fish), cleaned and scaled
- 1 dayap (lime) and extract the juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 small whole onion
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or native celery
- ½ cup fish stock
- 2 hard boiled eggs, with yolks and whites chopped separately
- Fillet the fish into two pieces. Marinate in dayap juice and set aside. Wash the bones and clean the head.
- Make fish stock: Boil the bones in water with the onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and butter. Season with salt. Continue boiling until one third of the stock remains. Strain through a fine sieve. Cook over low fire.
- Season the fillets with salt and pepper. Pat both sides of each fillet in flour. Heat oil in pan and fry the fillets until crisp and golden brown. Remove from pan and drain excess oil. Keep hot in an oven until ready to serve.
- Prepare the sauce: in a saucepan, melt butter, then add flour to make a smooth paste. Allow the chopped parsley or native celery. Mix well until smooth. Add the fish stock and reduce until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste. Add the chopped egg whites and yolks. Arrange the fillets on a platter. Pour sauce over the fillets. Serves 4.