This mechado recipe is a classic Filipino beef stew recipe which uses fresh tomatoes instead of tomato sauce or tomato paste. And instead of liver spread, this mechadong tagalog dish uses beef liver. The ingredients are very basic and simple so it will be easy for you to get the ingredients. The cooking process is also simple and it will be easy for you to cook this dish anytime on any occasions.
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1/2 kilo lean beef, cubed
1/2 kilo beef liver, sliced
1 head garlic, minced
2 pcs onion, chopped
1/2 kilo tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 Tbsp. annatto seeds (achuete seeds), soaked in 1 cup warm water, remove the seeds
2 pcs red bell peppers, sliced
2 pcs green bell peppers, sliced
6 pcs small potatoes, peeled, quartered and fried
1 stalk celery, sliced
How to cook Mechadong Tagalog:
- Heat oil in a frying pan and stir fry beef and liver. Set aside.
- Saute garlic, onions and tomatoes in hot oil until soft.
- Combine meat mixture and season with soy sauce and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour 1 cup of annatto extract. Cover and let boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until the meat is tender.
- Add the bell peppers and let it simmer for a minute.
- Garnish with fried potatoes and celery. Serve hot.