Ginataang Dilis (Anchovies in Coconut Milk)
This ginataang dilis recipe is made by wrapping the fresh anchovies in taro root leaves (gabi leaves) then simmered in a mixture of coconut milk, spices and seasonings. This dish is great as viand accompanied with steamed rice or served with other dishes like grilled meat, fish or seafoods.
- ½ kilo fresh small anchovies (dilis)
- 1½ cups grated young coconut
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 1 tsp. MSG or vetsin
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 3 to 4 green finger chili pepper (siling haba)
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 5 to 6 large wilted taro root leaves or gabi leaves
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (1st extract)
- 1 cup thin coconut milk (2nd extract)
- Cut off dilis head. Wash and drain. Combine dilis, grated young coconut, onion, garlic, ginger and green pepper (mince or slice pepper if you want it a hot and spicy dish).
- Season with salt and MSG.
- Wrap 2-3 tablespoons mixture in gabi leaves. Form into squares or rectangles. Tie with a string.
- Arrange wrapped mixture in a pan, pour in thin coconut milk.
- Cover and let boil for a while then lower heat and simmer until cream is reduced into half.
- Add the thick coconut milk. Simmer again until thickens and oil comes out.
- Then, it is ready to serve.