How to Cook Sinampalukang Manok (Stewed Chicken in Tamarind)
Sinampalukang manok is very similar to sinigang, a sour tamarind based soup.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 medium-sized chicken sliced into serving pieces
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 head garlic crushed
- 1 large onion. sliced
- 2 Tbsp. crushed or sliced ginger
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes sliced
- 15 pcs string beans cut into 1 to 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 pcs eggplant cut in halves
- 4 pcs long hot chili peppers for flavoring
- 2 to 3 cup finely chopped young sampaloc or tamarind leaves
- 4 cups water
- patis to taste
How to cook sinampalukang manok:
Sauté garlic, onion, ginger, tomatoes and the chicken pieces.
Add patis and water, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is almost tender.
Add the string beans and eggplants, then cover and boil for 3 minutes.
Add the young sampaloc leaves, pepper and water.
Cover; bring to a boil and correct seasonings. Serve hot. Good for 8 persons.