How to Cook Sinigang na Tilapia
This is a recipe of sinigang na tilapia
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 kilo tilapia cleaned, scales and innards removed and cut into 2 pcs each
- 3 pcs tomatoes quartered
- 1 pc onion quartered
- 2 pcs green chilies or siling haba
- 1 thumb sized ginger sliced
- 150 grams sampalok tamarind fruit
- 3/4 cup talbos ng kamote sweet potato leaves
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. patis or fish sauce
- 1 pcs small radish slice diagonally
- 6 cups rice wash or rice water
- pepper to taste
How to cook Sinigang na Tilapia:
In a pot, bring the rice wash to a boil. Then put the onions, tomatoes and ginger. Boil for another 2 minutes and cover.
Then add the tamarind fruit and boil again for another 2 minutes or until the tamarind is soft. Remove from the pot and put in a small bowl. Press the tamarind using a spoon to crush the fruit.
Get some soup from the pot and pour on the tamarind. Extract the juice from the tamarind while pressing the fruit in the strainer directly above the pot. Discard the seeds and peel. Then add the tilapia and radish in the pot and bring to a boil.
While the soup is boiling add in the siling haba, kamote tops, patis and pepper. Cover and boil for another 3 minutes or until done. Serve hot.