How to Cook Chicken Pochero (Pocherong Manok)
Pocherong manok or chicken pochero is a tomato sauce based chicken stew with vegetables like cabbage, Bagiuo beans and pechay.
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 kilo dressed chicken
- 1 small pack tomato sauce
- 1/2 small cabbage quartered
- 1 small bunch pechay
- 100 grams baguio beans cut into 1 inch length
- 5 pcs bananas saba variety, cut into half
- 2 pcs medium sweet potatoes or potatoes quartered
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 head crushed garlic
- 1 pc chorizo de bilbao sliced (optional)
- 1 small can garbanzos optional
- 1 cup water add more if necessary
- 1 Tbsp. banana catsup
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp. patis
- salt and pepper to taste
How to cook chicken pochero:
Cut the chicken into serving sizes. Fry the bananas and set aside.
In a pot, saute garlic and onion in 1 tsp cooking oil.
Then add the chicken and stir-fry for at least 3 minutes.
Add the saba and sweet potatoes then cover and let it simmer.
After 5 minutes, add the tomato sauce, water and catsup, and cover again and simmer.
Add the baguio beans (and chorizo) and when it is already cooked put the cabbage and pechay (and garbanzos).
Season with patis, salt, pepper and sugar according to your desires taste.