This version of salpicao is I think the healthiest version of salpicao because the meat used is cooking this dish is tuna steak which is rich is Omega-3 fatty acids compared to pork, chicken or beef salpicao. But the only downside is the price. It is more expensive than beef, chicken or pork. Anyway it won’t hurt your pocket so much if this tuna salpicao is served only once a month and not buying a sashimi grade tuna. Cooking this dish is also easy and since it is fish, it requires less time in cooking.
To tell you how easy it is, you only need to make a marinade using garlic, liquid seasoning, soy sauce, peppercorns, paprika and calamansi juice. Then marinade the tuna cubes for a few minutes so the seasoning and flavorings will be absorbed by the fish. Then saute some garlic and use the same oil in frying the tuna cubes. Make a butter sauce by combining and heating butter, oyster sauce and water until it becomes and oily sauce. Then put the tuna and sauteed garlic, cook and stir until the tuna cubes are well coated with the sauce. You can now serve it with plain rice or fried rice.
- 1 kilo yellow fin tuna steaks, cut into cut into cubes
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. liquid seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tsp. peppercorns, cracked
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. calamansi juice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. cooking oil
- Combine minced garlic, liquid seasoning, soy sauce, peppercorns, paprika, calamansi juice in a bowl and mix until the ingredients are dissolved.
- Add in the tuna, stir until the tuna are coated with the marinade. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium size skillet, heat oil and saute the chopped garlic until fragrant. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan or skillet with the heated oil, fry the tuna cubes and stir for no more than 5 minutes until the all the sides are completely seared. Then remove from pan, drain and set aside. Remove excess oil from the pan and leave about 1 tablespoon of oil.
- In the same pan, put butter, oyster sauce and about half a cup of water. Bring to a boil until the butter is dissolved for about a minute.
- Add in the fried tuna cubes and garlic and stir until it is well coated with the sauce for about 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot.