Steamed Lapu-Lapu with Basil and Mushrooms
The combination of fresh basil with lapu-lapu fillet produce a sweet earthy flavor. This dish is very simple to cook, just season the fish fillet with salt and pepper then steam until cooked. Saute the vegetables then combine it with the fish fillet and garnish with toasted garlic.
Using the lapu-lapu (grouper) fillet is the best in this recipe but in case you can’t find it in supermarkets, you can use labahita (surgeon fish), cream dory or any white flesh fish.
- 1 kilo lapu-lapu fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup chopped garlic, divided
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 cups fresh or canned straw mushrooms
- ½ kilo fresh basil leaves washed and drained
- ¼ cup white wine
- Season the fish fillet with salt and pepper. Steam for about 15 minutes or until fully cooked. Set aside and cover.
- In a skillet, heat ⅛ cup of the olive oil and toast ⅛ cup of garlic until light brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil and saute remaining garlic, onions, mushrooms and fresh basil leaves . Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When basil leaves are cooked pour in white wine and turn off the heat.
- Arrange cooked leaves and sauteed vegetables on a platter. Place steamed fish over them and garnish with toasted garlic. Serve hot.