Sarciadong Goto (Ox Tripe Sarciado)
This sarciado recipe consist of ox tripe and beef skin as meat for this dish. Beef skin is not usually used in cooking Filipino dishes but if you do, like this recipe, it will add a gelatinous texture and gives more flavor to the dish. This dish also resemble callos because of the tomato sauce used in cooking the ox tripe.
1 kilo ox tripe, cleaned well
300 grams beef skin
1 stalk lemon grass, crush bulb and stalk is tied into a knot
water, just enough to cover
salt to taste
1 tsp. peppercorns
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup beef stock
2 Tbsp. ginger, pared and cut into strips
3 pcs bay leaves
salt and ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. tomato paste
1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. tomato sauce
1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp. mushrooms, chopped
10 finger chillies
1/2 cup pitted black olives
1/2 cup pitted green olives
How to cook Sarciadong Goto (Ox Tripe Sarciado):
- In a stockpot, place the ox tripe, beef skin, lemon grass and enough water to cover the meat.
- Season with salt and peppercorns. Once the liquid boils, remove the pot from the stove, strain the liquid and throw it away.
- In another pot, place the boiled ox tripe and beef skin.
- Add pineapple juice, beef stock, ginger, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Let boil until the ox tripe and beef skin are tender. When tender, remove the ox tripe and beef skin.
- Cut both into strips then set the ox tripe, beef skin and stock aside.
- To make the gravy, put butter and flour in a pan. Mix well then add chicken stock.
- Whisk to smoothen the mixture and season to taste.
- In a wok, heat the oil then saute the onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Add the tomato paste and heat until cooked. Add a little reserved stock from the pot, then add the ox tripe and beef skin. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the reserved stock, boil for a while, then add the tomato sauce, mushrooms and gravy.
- Cook for a few more minutes then add the finger chilies, black and green olives. Adjust seasoning before serving.