Pork Pata Humba
Humba recipes usually use pork shoulder or other meaty parts of the pig but this recipe, pork pata humba use pork knuckles instead. This recipe is more likely a pata dish like paksiw na pata or pata tim but it was made as a humba dish.
- 1 kilo pork knuckles, cleaned
- ¾ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 1 head garlic, cracked
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 small packs of native mushrooms or tenga ng daga
- 2 small packs of banana blossoms
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Marinate pork knuckles in vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorns and garlic for 1 hour. In the meantime, place brown sugar in a plate. When pork knuckles are fully marinated, dip each piece in brown sugar and pan fry on medium high heat until golden brown. Remove and put aside until all pieces are done.
- In the same pan, put all the meat back and pour in all the marinade plus the water. Bring to a boil then lower flame immediately to medium-low then to a simmer to tenderize the meat. After simmering for about 45 minutes, the sauce will noticeably start to thicken. Add salt and allow to simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, soak the native mushrooms and banana blossoms in water for 15 minutes. Once softened, add to the simmering pot of meat. Cook until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick.