Pesang tilapia is stewed tilapia in miso, tomato sauce rice washing and spices. This recipe is a variation of the original pesang dalag which does not have miso and tomato sauce. Tilapia is very abundant, cheap and almost every day you can see it on on the wet market. You can even buy it still alive so you can be assured that it is fresh. It is also easy to clean and prepare compared to mudfish that you should know what you are doing before cooking it. Otherwise your pesang dalag will smell and taste very fishy and muddy.
To cook pesang tilapia; Saute garlic, onion, ginger and miso. Add rice washing, papaya, patis, peppercorn and tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add tilapia. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add mustasa. Allow to simmer. To see the complete recipe with lists of ingredients in exact measurements, continue reading.
- 3 large (600g) tilapia, each cut into 2 pieces
- 1 small green papaya, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (227g) tomato sauce
- 5 cups rice washing
- ¼ tsp peppercorn
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ¼ kilo mustasa (mustard leaves)
- 1 small ginger cut into strips
- ¼ cup patis
- ¼ cup miso
- Saute garlic, onion, ginger and miso.
- Add rice washing, papaya, patis, peppercorn and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add tilapia. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mustasa. Allow to simmer.