Linat-An (Pork with Taro Root)
Pork chops are not for frying only, you can make an exotic dish like this one from Northen Mindanao region 10. It is somewhat similar to sinigang with regard to ingredients less the souring agent like the tamarind or other sour fruit. It is a boiled pork soup with veggies like taro root (gabi), stingbeans, sweet pepper, tomatoes and aromatics such as lemon grass, yerba buena and spring onions. And mentioning the yerba buena herb, is it commonly used as medicinal herb and not as culinary herb which makes this dish somewhat unique.
To cook linat-an; Boil meat in rice washing for 40 minutes. Add gabi tubers and salt. Cook 5 minutes Add sitaw and pepper. Cook 3 minutes. Add herbs, tomatoes and green onions. Cook 3 minutes longer.
- 6 slices pork chops or liempo
- 6 cups rice washings
- 3 medium gabi tubers, quartered
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup sliced tomatoes
- 2 cups cut sitaw or stingbeans (2 inch lengths)
- 1 tablespoon sliced sweet pepper
- 1 tanglad or lemon grass leaf
- 1 sprig yerba buena
- ¼ cup green onions
- Boil meat in rice washing for 40 minutes. Add gabi tubers and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes Add sitaw and pepper. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add herbs, tomatoes and green onions. Cook 3 minutes longer.
- Serve hot. Six servings.