Fried Chicken Skin
You are going to love this crispy fried chicken skin and it is easy and cheap because you are only using chicken skin. But the most of the time the availability of chicken skin in supermarkets are the problem if chicken skin is in demand in your area. If you can buy chicken necks from chicken vendors or supermarkets, you can use that part and remove the skin from the neck. That is I think the cheapest way to do it. Since most of the time the only part of fried chicken that we love is the crispy skin, this recipe is what you are looking for if you are one of those fried chicken lovers. The recipe I have here is very similar in cooking breaded fried chicken and not the other method of boiling the skin first before frying which will look like chicharon when fried. So the texture you will see after cooking this dish is like breaded fried chicken.
- ½ kilo chicken skin, cut in desired serving pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- a dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 pcs calamansi, extract the juice
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- cooking oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine chicken skin and calamansi juice, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a food grade plastic bag, put the corn starch and chicken skin then close the plastic bag with enough air inside and shake until the skin is coated with the cornstarch.
- In a deep frying pan, heat about an inch deep of oil until hot enough for frying. Fry the chicken skin until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the pan and drain in a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Then transfer to a serving plate and serve with spiced vinegar dipping sauce.