This is an easy to cook savory sweet chicken dish. This dish is as easy as cooking chicken adobo where you only need to combine all the ingredients in a pot and cook until done. But there is an extra step if you want to make it more appetizing. Briefly grill the chicken if you want to serve it as chicken barbecue and thicken the sauce by simmering and adding cornstarch. Serve it as a dipping barbecue sauce for the chicken. You can also serve it without grilling by simmering until the sauce has slightly evaporated but no need to add the cornstarch.
- 2 kilos chicken, legs or thigh, cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. peppercorns, crushed
- water, if needed
- 2 tsp. cornstarch diluted with 2 tsp. water (for the sauce)
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare the chicken marinade by combining soy sauce, sugar, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns in a bowl. Mix the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.
- Put the chicken in the marinade and mix with the chicken until well coated and let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a pan or wok, put the chicken with the marinade and bring to a boil. Then simmer until the chicken is tender. Add some water if needed just in case the sauce is drying up.
- Prick the chicken with a fork to check if the chicken is already cooked. Juices should run clear.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the sugar and soy sauce if needed. Add in the spring onions and simmer for a few minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and grill the chicken. Thicken the sauce by adding cornstarch and simmer until the sauce is thick. Arrange the chicken in a platter and pour some sauce and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve hot.