Chicken Gizzard Stir Fry
Here is a chicken gizzard recipe stir fried in oyster sauce. This recipe is not the usual chicken liver and gizzard with adobo style cooking. And it doesn’t include chicken liver but purely gizzards. This can be serve as a viand or in a sizzling plate as pulutan.
There is an extra step in preparing the chicken gizzard specially if you bought it in the wet market. Usually it is attached with the chicken liver and with some fat on it. But since you only need the gizzards, ask the vendor to give you the gizzards only as much as possible. (In the supermarkets you can buy gizzards only and already cleaned.) So after you brought it home prepare it by slicing it and removing the contents. There is a yellowish skin on the gizzard which you have to remove. Use a knife by scraping it then rub it in sea salt to remove the mucus and odor. Then boil it with crush garlic and ginger for half an hour. Discard the water then cool.
- 1 kilo chicken gizzard
- ½ head garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, cut into thin strips
- ½ inch size ginger, cut into slivers
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 2-3 long green chili, sliced diagonally
- ¾ cup oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pcs star anise (optional)
- cooking oil
- Wash chicken gizzard thoroughly. Remove the yellowish skin on the gizzard if you bought it from the wet market.
- Then rub the gizzard with rock salt to remove the mucus and odor of the gizzard.
- Place the gizzard in medium size pan and add enough water to cover.
- Add in the crushed garlic, ginger slices, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- When done discard water and keep aside gizzard to cool down.
- Slice the tender gizzard into bite size, keep aside.
- In a wok heat generous amount of cooking oil until it start to smoke.
- Saute the garlic, ginger strips, star anise for about a minute, add in the onion and continue to stir fry for another minute.
- Add in the chicken gizzard and stir cook for st least 5 minutes.
- Stir in the oyster sauce and ½ cup of water bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally until the liquid turns to a thick oily sauce and almost dry.
- Season with the ground black pepper, add the sliced chili and cook for another minute.