Chicken Bicol Express
This Bicol express is the healthier version on the creamy and spicy dish. It is loaded with green chili peppers and red chili peppers so you can imagine the spicy taste of this dish. If green shili peppers are not readily available, you can use bell peppers. Just add more red chili peppers to make it hot. Usually pork is used, but on this version lean chicken meat is used which is low in cholesterol provided that you won’t include the skin. But if you are not a health buff and you just want a lighter version of the Bicol express, then you can include the skin. This chicken Bicol express is a good alternative to the pork version because pork fat is high in cholesterol. And about the shrimp paste, you can use sauteed shrimp paste which is more convenient but most of the time they are a little sweet. But you can also use fresh shrimp paste if you don’t want the sweet taste of the sauteed shrimp paste.
- 500grams chicken fillet, cut into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 pcs green chili peppers(siling panigang), sliced diagonally
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. bagoong alamang (shrimp paste)
- 3 pcs laurel leaves
- 2 pcs siling labuyo, choppes
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. patis or fish sauce
- In a cooking pan, heat cooking oil and saute garlic, onion and laurel leaves until the onions are soft. Add the chicken and saute for a few minutes until the chicken changes color to white.
- Pour the patis, red chili pepper, ground pepper and stir. Pour the coconut milk and stir for a few minutes. Cover and simmer until the coconut milk is slightly thick.
- Uncover and add shrimp paste and stir until the shrimp paste is evenly mixed with the coconut milk. Add the green chili peppers and stir. Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat and serve.