Butong with Crabs (Crabs with Young Coconut)
Most dishes from the Visayan regions are simple and natural. But you will be surprised that even a simple dish can be as delicious like the recipe I have here. This authentic crab recipe is from Central Visayas Region VII. The crabs are cooked with buko (young coconut) meat and coconut water and of course with aromatics like garlic, onions, green onions and tomatoes. The dish is called butong with crabs. “Butong” is a Visayan dialect which means young coconut and it is obvious that the dish originate from that region.
To cook butong with crabs: Sauté garlic, onion, tomatoes and buko. Add water and season with salt.Add crabs. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Drop green onions and cook 2 minutes longer before removing from fire. To see the complete recipe with lists of ingredients in exact measurements, continue reading.
- 3 boiled big crabs, cut into halves (blue crabs or mud crabs)
- 2 and ½ cups grated buko meat (young coconut meat)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sliced onion
- ¼ cup sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut water
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- How to cook butong with crabs:
- Sauté garlic, onion, tomatoes and buko. Add water and season with salt.
- Add crabs. Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Drop green onions and cook 2 minutes longer before removing from fire. Serves 6.