Beef with Young Corn and Kangkong
Beef with young corn and kangkong is a simple but a tasty main dish. It only needs a few minutes and stir frying and simmering to make this dish. Although young corn is not a common ingredient in Filipino cuisine but mostly in Asian cuisine, the addition of kangkong makes this somehow a Pinoy dish.
1/2 kilo beef sirloin, cut into strips
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 & 1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. margarine
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 cup young corn, slice into half
1 cup kangkong, cleaned and cut into 1 inch long
1 Tbsp. cornstarch, diluted into 1/4 cup water
How to cook beef with young corn and kangkong:
- Without including the beef, mix the next 5 ingredients, soy sauce, black pepper, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Marinate the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- In a pan melt margarine and lightly brown the garlic.
- Then add the beef and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add water and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in young corn and kangkong and simmer again for a few minutes.
- Thicken the the sauce by pouring the diluted cornstarch on the beef mixture and simmer again for a few minutes more stirring constantly.
- Turn off heat and serve hot.