Adobong Manok Sa Duyan (Chicken Adobo in Hammock)
Chicken adobo in a hammock or adobong manok sa duyan is a unique recipe with a twist. It is not the usual chicken adobo recipe and the difference is wrapping the vegetables with chicken breast to resemble a hammock.
2 pcs chicken breasts
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1 head garlic, crushed
3-4 pcs peppercorns, cracked
3 pcs chicken livers
1/2 tsp white sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup coconut milk
2 pcs bay leaves
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 cup pure coconut cream
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 pc carrot, cut into strips
12 pcs fresh Baguio beans, blanched
1/2 cup dozen green peas
How to cook adobong manok sa duyan:
- Debone chicken breast. Slice each breast to make 2 fillets. Pound each fillet lightly on a chopping board to flatten.
- Marinate in soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, pepper and sugar together with the chicken livers for 30 minutes.
- Remove fillet from the marinade. Place a bamboo stick in the center of each fillet.
- Fold pointed ends of fillet over the bamboo stick. Tie 2 other sticks at the pointed ends of the fillet to resemble a hammock.
- Do the same for the remaining fillet. Heat oil in the frying pan. Deep fry each fillet until golden brown.
- Set aside. In low heat,cook the coconut milk, bay leaves, chicken bouillon cubes and livers together with the marinade.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove chicken livers and mash with a fork.
- Return to simmering milk mixture. Add the coconut cream. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season and set aside. In a saucepan, heat butter and stir-fry the carrots, beans and peas.
- Remove the bamboo stick inserted in each fillet. Replace with carrots, Baguio beans and peas.
- Arrange on a platter. Serve hot with adobe sauce if desired. Serves 4.